Save up to 70% on Cozy Accessories from FamousFootwear.com!
Directions For the Churn Dash Quilt Block
The Churn Dash quilt block is an interesting pattern that is composed of right
triangles, rectangle, and a single square. This block and easily be pieced using
and rotary cutting.
This block uses three different fabrics, two design fabric,
Fabric A and
Fabric B , and a background fabric,
Rotary Cutting Directions
- Cut one strip from Fabric A for four 4" right triangles. Strip width is 4 7/8".
- Cut Cut one strip from the background fabric for four 4" right triangles. Strip width is 4 7/8".
- Cut one strip from Fabric B for four 2" x 4" rectangles. Strip width is 2 1/2".
- Cut one strip from the background fabric for four 2" x 4" rectangles. Strip width is 2 1/2".
- Cut one strip from the background fabric for one 4" square. Strip width is 4 1/2". Cut one 4 1/2" square from this strip.
You can also use Easy Piecing Triangle Templates for your right triangles,
Piecing the Block
- Following the Speed Piecing directions for right triangles, piece four squares using the 4 7/8" strip of Fabric A and the 4 7/8" strip of the background fabric.
- Sew together the 2 1/2" strip of Fabric B and the 2 1/2" strip of the background fabric. Press. Following the speed piecing directions, cut four 4 1/2" squares from the pieced strip.
- Using two of the right triangle squares created in Step 1 and one of the rectangle squares created in Step 2 for each row, piece two rows placing squares as shown.
- Piece one row as shown using the 4 1/2" square of background fabric and the two remaining squares created in Step 2.
- Piece the rows of squares together as shown to complete the finished Churn Dash block.
Variations of the Churn Dash Quilt Block
© 1994 Susan E Traudt
- Grecian Design
- Greek Cross
Nine Patch Blocks *
World Wide Quilting Page